CV S. Barinova
1991 - Ph.D in Institute of Botany, Russian Academy of Science, St.-Peterburg. Area of specialization - Botany.
1973 - M.Sc. in Far-Eastern State University, Faculty of Chemistry. Area of specialization - Chemistry.
Academic Ranks and Tenure in Institutes of Higher Education
2001-present: Senior Research Scientist
Research activity: algology, biodiversity, hydrochemistry, bio-indication, aquatic ecology, evolution of aquatic ecosystems, assessment of water quality, ecological regulation in aquatic ecosystems of Israel.
1994-2001: Head of Laboratory of Aquatic ecosystems, Institute of Nature Conservation, Ministry of Ecology, Moscow.
Research activity: algology, biodiversity, hydrochemistry, bio-indication, aquatic ecology, evolution of aquatic ecosystems, assessment of water quality, ecological regulation in aquatic ecosystem of European region of Russia, Siberia and Far East, ecological mapping and GIS.
1989-1993: Senior researcher, Institute of Nature Conservation, Ministry of Ecology, Moscow.
Research activity: algology, biodiversity, hydrochemistry, bio-indication, aquatic ecology, evolution of aquatic ecosystems, assessment of water quality, ecological regulation in aquatic ecosystem of European region of Russia.
1968-1989: Researcher, Institute of Biology and Soil Science, Far-Eastern Branch, Acad. Sci. USSR, Vladivostok.
Research activity: algal flora of the major protected area of Russian Far East, water quality assessment on the polluted rivers of Primorsky Region.
Scholarly Positions and Activities outside the University
Editorial Assignments: Three International Scientific Journals: Expert Opinion on Environmental Biology, USA; Natural Resources and Conservation, USA; Bulletin of Moscow Society of Nature Scientists (MOIP), Russia.
Reviewer in 27 international peer-reviewed scientific journals and Fund Agencies: Journal of Phycology, Israel Journal of Plant Science, Applied Ecology and Environmental Research, Algologia, African Journal of Aquatic Science, Journal of Arid Environments, Environmental Management (Springer), Hydrobiologia, Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, Bulletin of Moscow Society of Nature Scientists (MOIP), Vie et Milieu / Life and Environment, International Research Journal of Agricultural Science, Biologia (Slovakia), International Journal of Ecology, Chiang Mai Journal of Science, Polish Botanical Journal, Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa, Limnological Review, Journal of Limnology, African Journal of Biotechnology, Natural Resources and Conservation (Horizon), Sustainability of Water Quality and Ecology, Annual Research & Review in Biology, The Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA).
2015-present: supervising PhD student Aibek Jiyenbekov from Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Alma Ata, Kazakhstan.
2001-2007: supervising of MS student from Moscow State University, supervising of MS student from Haifa University, supervising of 3 PhD students from Haifa University.
1994-2001: supervising of PhD students from Moscow State University.
1999-2000: Ecological assessment of water quality under EU and Russian Standard Systems, All-Union Institute of Nature Conservation and reserves, Moscow
1989-1993: courses and practices on algology, Moscow State University.
1968-1989: Practicum on the lower plants in Far-East State University, Vladivostok.
Scholarships, Awards, Research Grants
2013 - Dead Sea-Arava Science Center, “Definition and calculation of algal species diversity in 6 samples from experimental pools of the Yotvata and natural environment of the Hamat Gader water bodies”, 2,400 NIS.
2011-2012 - Israel Taxonomy Initiative, TAU: “Charophytes in Israel”, with Prof R. Romanov 3,960 USD
2011 - Ministry of Environment of Israel: “Monitoring of algal communities in the Ayyun River”, with Dr. Moti Tavassi, 28,170 NIS.
2010 - Ministry of Environment of Israel: “Monitoring of algal communities in the Ayyun River”, with Dr. Moti Tavassi, 27,140 NIS.
2010 - Bohai Garden Authority: “Algal community and water quality assessment in the Akko Park of Bohai Garden Authority. Recommendation on Algal Removing”, 8,000 NIS
2008-2009 - Ministry of Environment of Israel: "Experimental assessment of anthropogenic impact and rehabilitation of periphytonic algal assemblages for ecological monitoring of the Hadera River", 120,500 NIS, as PI.
2007 - GIF: "Fossil record of angiosperm evolution and paleoecology in the Middle East" - 225,000 EURO, as Researcher (and Prof. V.A. Krassilov as PI).
2005 - Ministry of Environment of Israel: "Assessment of water quality via biological monitoring by using microscopic algae and biotest system by using Tetrahymena pyriformis in the Qishon River" - 60,000 NIS, as PI (and Moti Tavassi).
2005 - Igud Hadera: "Ecological monitor of algae bloom at the Hadera Park River" - 15,000 NIS, as PI (and Moti Tavassi).
- 2006-2007. Practical Course for Algal Indicators and Ecology of Aquatic Ecosystems. Universita Ptuha (Open University), Tel-Aviv to the M.A. students.
- 1986-1989. Practicum on the lower plants. Far East State University, Vladivostok, to the M.A. students.
Co-supervision of post graduate students' works (Ph.D):
1. Aibek Jiyenbekov, “Research of Algal biodiversity of the Alakol Lake, and their role in ecosystem sustainable conservation (by classic systematically and genosystematycally metod’s)”. Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Alma Ata, Kazakhstan, 2015-present (with Prof. A.B. Bigaliev and Prof. S.B. Nurashov, Kazakhstan) in process.
2. Guy Yehuda, "Algal biodiversity in the natural habitats of the Zin River Basin, Negev under the seasonal changes of environmental variables". University of Haifa, 2006-2007 (with Prof. E. Nevo) completed.
3. Esther Lipkovsky, "Biotechnological assessment of Jordan River basin algal diversity under stress factors influence of the regional ecological contrasts in Israel". University of Haifa, 2006-2007 (with Prof. E. Nevo) completed.
4. Moti Tavassi, "Ecological and biological monitoring of the Yarqon River (Central Israel) by using microscopic algae". University of Haifa, 2004-2007 (with Prof. S.P. Wasser) completed.
5. Olga Anissimova, "Diversity and ecology of freshwater algae in the Altay Natural Reserve". Institute of Nature Conservation and Reserve, Moscow, 1998-2000 (with Prof. N.G. Prokhorov) completed.
International Consulting for Ph.D. Students, alumni
1. Subhabrata Ghosh, University of Burdwan, Burdwan, India
2. Olena Bilous, Hydrobiological Institute, Kiev, Ukraine
3. Cuneyt Nadir Solak, Kutahya University, Kutahya, Turkey
4. Alina Trofim, State Committee of Natural resource Conservation and Reserves of Moldova, Chisinau, Moldova
5. Valentina Klymiuk, Hydrobiological Institute, Kiev, Ukraine
6. Naiz Ali, University of Peshawar, Peshawar, Pakistan
7. Izaz Khuram, Department of Botany, University of Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
8. Mariyo Boboev, Khatlon Scientific Center, Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, Kulob, Tajikistan.
International Consulting for M.Sc. Students
1. Jayantha Sikdar, University of Burdwan, India.
Publications: Author of 217 scientific papers including 8 books.