Tamar Krugman is the curator of the Wild Cereals Gene Bank and a senior researcher at the Institute of Evolution at Haifa University.
Tamar is the manager of the Genomic Lab at the Institute of Evolution. The main research of Tamar is focused on the utilization of wild cereals,Triticum dicoccoides and Hordeum spontaneum, for crop improvement.
- study of adaptive mechanism for abiotic stress tolerance,
- identification of candidate genes for drought resistance,
- genetic mapping of drought resistance, functional genomics of drought resistance genes,
- expression study of genes in the gibberellin metabolic pathway under drought stress, and transcriptome analysis of wild wheat under drought.
Tamar is currently involved in transcriptome study of wheat domestication.
1. Krugman# T., Suprunova, T.#, T. Fahima, C. Guoxiong, I. Shams, A.B. Korol, and E. Nevo. 2004. Differntial expression of dehydrin (Dhn) in responses to water stress in resistant and sensitive wild barley (Hordeum spontaneum). Plant Cell and Environment 27: 1297-1308 (#both should be considered as first authors).
2. Peleg Z., Fahima T., Abbo S., Krugman T., Nevo E., Yakir D. & Saranga Y. 2005. Genetic diversity for drought resistance in wild emmer wheat and its ecogeographical association. Plant Cell & Environment 28, 176-191
3. Suprunova T, Krugman T, Distelfeld A, Fahima T, Nevo E, Korol A.Identification of a novel gene (Hsdr4) involved in water-stress tolerance in wild barley. Plant Mol Biol. 2007 May;64 (1-2):17-34
4. Peleg Z, Saranga Y, Krugman T, Abbo S, Nevo E, Fahima T Allelic diversity associated with aridity gradient in wild emmer wheat populations. Plant Cell Environ. 2007
5. Peleg Z, Fahima T, Krugman T, Abbo S, Yakir D, Korol AB, Saranga Y. 2009 Genomic dissection of drought resistance in durum wheat x wild emmer wheat recombinant inbreed line population. Plant Cell Environ 32: 758-779.
6. Krugman T, Chagué V, Peleg Z, Balzergue S, Just J, Korol AB, Nevo E, Saranga Y, Chalhoub B, Fahima T. 2010. Multilevel regulation and signalling processes associated with adaptation to terminal drought in wild emmer wheat. Functional & Integrative Genomics 10: 167-186
7. Krugman T, Peleg Z, Quansah L, Chagué V, Korol AB, Nevo E, Saranga Y, Fait A, Chalhoub B, Fahima T. 2011. Alteration in expression of hormone-related genes in wild emmer wheat roots associated with drought adaptation mechanisms. Functional & Integrative Genomics 11: 565-583
8. Ma X, Sela H, Jiao G, Li C, Wang A, Pourkheirandish M, Weiner D, Sakuma S, Krugman T, Nevo E, Komatsuda T, Korol A and Chen G (2012) Population-genetic analysis of HvABCG31 promoter sequence in wild barley (Hordeum vulgare ssp. spontaneum), BMC Evolutionary Biology 12:188 doi:10.1186/1471-2148-12-188
9. Raats D, Frenkel Z, Krugman T, Dodek I, Sela H, Magni F, Cattonaro F, Vautrin S, Bergès H, Wicker T, Keller B, Leroy P, Philippe R, Paux E, Doležel J, Feuillet C, Korol AB and T Fahima. 2013. The physical map of wheat chromosome 1BS provides insights into its gene space organization and evolution. Genome Biol 14:R138
10. Tzarfati R, Barak V, Krugman T, Fahima T, Abbo S, Saranga Y, Korol A. 2014. Novel quantitative trait loci underlying major domestication traits in tetraploid wheat. Mol Breed 34:1613-1628
11. Czypionka T, Krugman T, Altmüller J, Blaustein L, Steinfartz S, Templeton A, Nolte AW. 2015. Ecological transcriptomics - a non-lethal sampling approach for endangered fire salamanders. Methods in Ecol and Evol. (DOI: 10.1111/2041-210X.12431).
12. Hongda Zou, Tzarfati R, Hübner S, Krugman T, Fahima T, Abbo S, Saranga Y, Korol AB. 2015. Transcriptome profiling of wheat glumes in wild emmer, hulled landraces and modern cultivars. BMC Genomics, in press.