- Biodiversity and Systematic of fresh-water algae from coastal rivers, lakes, natural and artificial ponds of Israel.
- Experimental assessment of self-purification capacity in the river ecosystems.
- Biodiversity, species richness analysis, statistical methods in comparative floristic.
- Hydrochemistry, classifications of variables for assessment of aquatic ecosystems.
- Bio-indication of stress environmental factors on the basis of autecology of algal species.
- Evolution of aquatic ecosystems, ecological modeling, climate change.
- Assessment of water quality, identification of the risk factors.
- Ecological regulation strategy on the basis of modeling and ecological mapping.
- Continuing experimental studies of photosynthetic activity on glass slides in vitro for the model sampling/monitoring stations on the rivers of northern Israel and the Negev.
- Correlating community variables with environmental variables using the advanced program CANOCO and the other statistical approaches for identification of the risk factors and responses of bio-indicator and biosensor species.
- Correlating freshwater algal and cyanobacterial diversity with climatic factors and geographical position of water objects
- Applying molecular genetic methods for study of algal species sensitivity to climatic and environmental risk factors.
- Completing of the book Diversity of Algal Indicators and Environmental Assessment by Barinova S. and L. Medvedeva for the publishing in the Pensoft, Sophia.
Model organisms: Freshwater Algae and Cyanobacteria
The main aim of our research is to understand the diversity of algal communities response to the environmental stress factors impact as well as to the geographic and climatic zone position of the water object. The main methods that we used for this research are bio-indication, statistics and comparative floristic. Study based on the field research and sampling with following microscopy definition of species diversity and abundance, as well as experimental works in the natural and controlled environments.
Individual Research Projects
- Study of Algal diversity in the rivers of Israel: Qishon, Yarqon, Oren, Alexander, Hadera, Lower Jordan, Zin, Upper Jordan.
- Comparative analysis of the algal species diversity of arid region lakes in Kazakhstan and Israel.
- Seasonal influences on algal biodiversity in the rivers by bio-indication, Canonical Correspondence Analysis (CCA) and Brown-Blanquet methods.
- Comparative analysis of algal communities of northern and southern Israel as bearing on ecological consequences of climate change.
- Regional influences on algal biodiversity in two model polluted rivers of Eurasia.
- Development of the method of quantitative assessment of microphytobenthos for small rivers.
- 2008-2009 - Ministry of Environment of Israel: "Experimental assessment of anthropogenic impact and rehabilitation of periphytonic algal assemblages for ecological monitoring of the Hadera River", 120,500 NIS, as PI.
- 2007-2010 - GIF: "Fossil record of angiosperm evolution and paleoecology in the Middle East" - 225,000 EURO, as Researcher (and Prof. V.A. Krassilov as PI).
- 2005 - Ministry of Environment of Israel: "Assessment of water quality via biologial monitoring by using microscopic algae and biotest system by using Tetrahymena pyriformis in the Qishon River" - 60,000 NIS, as PI (and Moti Tavassi).
- 2005 - Igud Hadera: "Ecological monitor of algae bloom at Hadera Park River" - 15,000 NIS, as PI (and Moti Tavassi).
Barinova, S., Lipkovsky, E., Nevo, E. 2009. Rare species Lemanea fluviatilis (L.) Agardh (Rhodophyta) from Israel. Algological Studies 132: 75-89. (Link)
Barinova, S., Tavassi, M., Nevo, E. 2009. Seasonal influences on algal biodiversity in the Yarqon River (central Israel) by bio-indication and Canonical Correspondence Analysis (CCA). Turkish Journal of Botany 33: 353-372.
Barinova, S., Bragina, T.M., Nevo, E. 2009. Algal species diversity of arid region lakes in Kazakhstan and Israel. Community Ecology 10(1): 7-16. (Link)
Barinova, S., Tavassi, M., Glassman, H. 2009. Diversity and ecology of algae from the Lower Jordan River, Israel. Plant Biosystems 143(2): 340-360. (Link)
Tavassi, M., Barinova, S., Nevo, E. 2008. Examination of water quality from the Yarqon River (central Israel) using the glass slide method to define algal vegetative activity (in vitro). Applied Ecology and Environmental Research 6(3): 113-125.
Barinova, S., Medvedeva, L., Nevo, E. 2008. Regional influences on algal biodiversity in two polluted rivers of Eurasia (Rudnaya River, Russia, and Qishon River, Israel) by bio-indication and Canonical Correspondence Analysis (CCA). Applied Ecology and Environmental Research 6(4): 29-55.
Tavassi, M., Barinova, S., Glassman, H. 2008. Algal community in the pollution Lower Jordan River (Israel). Israel Journal Plant Science 56(1-2): 111-119. (Link)
Barinova, S., Tavassi, M., Nevo, E. 2006. Algal indicator system of environmental variables in the Hadera River basin, central Israel. Plant Biosystems 140(1): 65-79. (Link)
Barinova, S., Anissimova, O.V., Nevo, E., Wasser, S.P. 2005. Diversity and ecology of phytoplankton and periphyton of the Nahal Oren, Alon Natural Park, Northern Israel. Algological Studies 116: 169-197. (Link)
Barinova, S., Anissimova, O.V., Nevo, E., Jarygin, M.M., and Wasser, S.P. 2004. Diversity and Ecology of Algae from Nahal Qishon, Northern Israel. Plant Biosystems 138(3): 245-259. (Link)
Barinova, S., Medvedeva, L.A. 2004. On the method of quantitative assessment of microphytobenthos in small rivers of the Russian Far-East. Algologia 14(1): 101-110. (in Rus.). (Link)
Barinova, S., Tsarenko, P.M., Nevo, E. 2004. Algae of experimental pools on the Dead Sea coast, Israel. Israel Journal of Plant Science 52(3): 265-275. (Link)
Tavassi, M., Barinova, S., Anissimova, O.V., Nevo, E., Wasser, S.P. 2004. Algal indicators of the environment in the Nahal Yarqon Basin, Central Israel. International Journal on Algae 6(4): 355-382. (Link)
Barinova, S., Anissimova, O.V.,Nevo, E. & Wasser, S.P. 2003. Algae new for Israel from the Upper Nahal Oren River. Flora Mediterranea 13: 273-296.
Afonin, S.A., Barinova, S., Krassilov, V.A. 2001. A bloom of Tympanicysta Balme (green algae of zygnematalean affinities) at the Permian - Triassic boundary. Geodiversitas 23(4): 481-487. (Link)