- The role of tumor microenvironment in cancer development;
- Mechanisms of cancer resistance in hypoxia-tolerant subterranean rodents;
- Cellular senescence and senescence-associated secretory phenotype (SASP);
- Non-canonical SASP in senescent cells and aging tissues of Spalax and its role in cancer prevention;
- Adipose-derived stem cells in Spalax and their role in tumor microenvironment and tissue regeneration;
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: molecular inhibitors; mechanisms regulating drug resistance.
- Iron homeostasis and storage in hypoxia-tolerant mammals. Regulation of ferritin synthesis under environmental stress;
Manov I., Hirsh M., Iancu T.C., Malik A., Sotnichenko N., Band M., Avivi A., and Shams I. Pronounced cancer resistance in a subterranean rodent, the blind mole-rat, Spalax: in vivo and in vitro evidence. BMC Biology 2013, 11:91: 1-17. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25050761
Iancu T.C., Arad T., Avivi A, Shams I and Manov I. Iron-rich ferritin in the hypoxia-tolerant blind mole rat Spalax ehrenbergi: an in-vivo natural marker confirms internalization and pathways of intracellular macromolecules. Journal of Structural Biology 2014, 187(3):254-65 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25050761
Domankevich V, Opatowsky Y, Malik A, Korol AB, Frenkel Z, Manov I, Avivi A, Shams I Adaptive patterns in the p53 protein sequence of the hypoxia- and cancer-tolerant blind mole rat Spalax.
BMC Evol Biol. 2016 Sep 2;16:177 https://bmcevolbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12862-016-0743-8
Mamchur A, Leman E, Salah S, Avivi A, Shams I, Manov I. Adipose-Derived Stem Cells of Blind Mole Rat Spalax Exhibit Reduced Homing Ability: Molecular Mechanisms and Potential Role in Cancer Suppression. Stem Cells. 2018 Oct;36(10):1630-642 https://stemcellsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/stem.2884
Altwasser R, Paz A, Korol A, Manov I, Avivi A, Shams I The transcriptome landscape of the carcinogenic treatment response in the blind mole rat: insights into cancer resistance mechanisms. BMC Genomics. 2019 Jan 8; 20(1):17 https://bmcgenomics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12864-018-5417-z
Adwan Shekhidem H, Sharvit L, Leman E, Manov I, Roichman A, Holtze S, M Huffman D, Y Cohen H, Bernd Hildebrandt T, Shams I, Atzmon G (2019) Telomeres and Longevity: A Cause or an Effect? Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Jul 1;20(13):3233. https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/20/13/3233
Odeh A, Dronina M, Domankevich V, Shams I, Manov I (2020) Downregulation of the inflammatory network in senescent fibroblasts and aging tissues of the long-lived and cancer-resistant subterranean wild rodent, Spalax. Aging Cell. 19(1) e13045. doi: 10.1111/acel.13045 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/acel.13045